To promote rugby and its values to non-traditional rugby playing groups and to use the sport as a means of encouraging social inclusion.
Engage! will look to increase the engagement and involvement of groups who are traditionally under-represented in rugby – specifically women and disabled people, but also other under-represented groups.
Similarly, Engage! will use rugby and its values to reach those community groups that are experiencing forms of social exclusion, such as those young people involved in, or at risk of becoming involved in, crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Girls and Women
- Disabled people
- Ethnic minorities
- New communities
- Economically disadvantaged
- Young parents
- Young offenders
- Identified anti-social behaviour hotspots
- Girls and women’s rugby sessions and leagues
- Wheelchair and other disability rugby sessions
- Neighbourhood / ‘Street Rugby’
- Community ‘Touch Rugby’
- Rugby programmes at young offenders centres
- Community rugby festivals
- Increased participation by non-traditional rugby playing groups
- Increased opportunities for participation by socially excluded groups
- Reductions in anti-social behaviour
- Increased engagement of young offenders